The Court of Miracles by Kester Grant

Book Rating  5/5
This book is Spice Free (there is some kissing though)

What to expect: I'll do anything for my sister, fear is non existent for our main character here, secret underworld empire, lots of daggers, a revolution, stealing, and a little bit of found family.

"I've never been able to fight your battles. I've not been able to lift my hand to protect you. I cannot risk dragging my Guild into war." His eyes are burning with emotion. "But if he kills you, I'll take his head from his body and I'll set it on a pike in the middle of the Lords' table in the Miracle Court, and none will ever take it down. There it will rot, the worms will eat it to bone, and all who see it will remember you." His voice breaks. "Even if Corday asks my life of me in return, I'll do it. I swear." Pg. 369

If this isn't a proclamation of love, then I don't know what is. 
A little context to the quote: He's a high ranking member in the Assassins Guild so killing is his thing.


It feels illegal that the book ended how it ended. Before I saw that there was a second book coming out in 2024, I felt like my whole world was crashing (that's a little dramatic, but it's true). Ms. Grant added all these little snippets of Nina and Montparnasse and expected me to not very much wish for their happily ever after?!?! And the cliffhanger she left us with. I am dying to find out how their relationship goes after this. Dying. I need that second book ASAP. 

The story takes place in Paris, France in 1829, after the French Revolution, which left the city in shambles. The city is split between harsh, unpitying royals and nobles, and the Wretched. These people were apart of 1 of the 9 infamous criminal guilds.

We start off with Nina (our lovely thief) and her older sister Azelma. Now Azelma is practically Nina's mother with the amount of care she gives Nina. So it absolutely breaks Nina when Azelma tells her friend (who I'm pretty sure would've been her boyfriend if Azelma's life didn't go sideways) to take Nina and asks him to promise to protect her. Azelma asks this of her friend, Femi because Nina and Azelma's father (I very much think he does not deserve that name) decided to sell Azelma off to the highest bidder. He happened to be named Tiger (I know, weird name). This is very important because it sets up the emotions and choices that Nina makes in the second half of the book.

After a few years being in the Guild of Thieves, Nina's father takes on a new younger daughter. Her name is Cosette (nickname: Ettie), it is important to note that she is an absolute gem. She's gorgeous, kind, innocent, funny, loves to comment on Nina's love life every time Nina talks to a handsome boy, and just the girl that Tiger sets his eyes on to have. Nina has made sure that Tiger will not be able to buy her, so Tiger resorted to kidnapping. Let me remind you, Nina's a thief. And a very good one. One of the best even. And if there is one thing Tiger should've know was to never even attempt to steal from a thief.


The Miracle Court is the center of our criminal empire here. It's where the 9 Lords and Ladies of each guild meet. The 9 guilds are, The Guild of Chance, The Guild of Beggars, The Guild of Assassins, The Guild of Mercenaries, The Guild of Smugglers, The Guild of Letters, The Guild of Thieves, The Guild of Flesh, and The Guild of Dreamers.

Nina's in the Guild of Thieves.

Funny fact: The Guild of Letters handles each guild's audits so they are feared and respected. It's not a common thing to go knocking on another guild houses door, so the people who live there aren't friendly at first, but once the person states that they are from the Guild of Letters and are there for the audit, everyone inside backs away with their heads down. lol. Audits are the end of us all.


In the beginning of the book, Nina kissed someone to get out of the situation. And you might be wondering what that situation was . . . read the book <3. Anyways you might be wondering, why is this a big deal? Well it's a big deal because this same dude happens to be so lonely that when he sees her again like 3 years later, he's got a huge crush on her. Like big. But it's okay because Nina doesn't like him back and 100% secretly prefers Montparnasse (who I'll take over the other dude any day).

There's also this other guy who happens to be attempting to lead his own revolution or whatever he wishes to call it. He also likes Nina.

And then our amazing Montparnasse. He stole my heart the second he started caring for Nina. He's an assassin, and a really good one too. So, I don't really know if it's healthy for me to like him this much, but it's okay. 

Morale of the story, Nina's got a love life and I don't :(

I'm joking. But seriously, this book really blew away my expectations (in a good way). I was really excited to start reading this and I'm so happy my excitement wasn't let down. Definitely recommend if you're into the criminal underworld and 1800s Paris.

Thanks for reading <3


The Court of Miracles Synopsis:

"AS A THIEF,
she has nothing to lose.
AS A SISTER,
she could lose everything.

FRANCE,  1829

Paris simmers with unrest following a failed revolution. In the violent jungle of the city streets, all power is held by the Wretched——a court of criminals divided into guilds.

    As a member of the Thieves Guild, Nina Thénardier can steal anything, or anyone. But when the vicious Guild Lord known as the Tiger sets his sights on Nina's younger sister Cosette, he thinks nothing can stop him from having her. There is one thing the Tiger did not account for, however. A rule that runs as true as iron and bone among the Wretched: Never steal from a thief."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Post-Worthy Quotes

Only A Monster by Vanessa Len