Only A Monster by Vanessa Len

Only A Monster Synopsis:

"Joan has just learned the truth: her family are monsters, with terrifying powers.
    And the cute boy at work isn't just a boy: he's a legendary monster slayer who will do anything to destroy her family.
    To save herself and everyone she loves, Joan will have to do what she fears most--embrace her own monstrousness.
Because in this story . . .

                                              . . . SHE IS NOT THE HERO."

Book rating  4.5/5
This book is Spice Free

Tropes: love triangle, heist, time travel, I want to kill all of your kind but you, soulmates, magical underworld, lovers to enemies to lovers, rival families, and surprises that you'll never see coming.

"Real monsters look like me and you."

This is my personal opinion on the book:

I really enjoyed the book.

You know those characters that are on the side, but they make the whole book. That was Ruth. She was just everything in those little moments in the middle of the book. And Aaron. He already has the name Aaron so he has to be good right? He was the best. He even was all uptight about his fashion. It was so funny when him and Joan were staying at a monster inn together and he got all mad that their hangers weren't good enough to hang up his suit jacket so he could wear it the next day. And this man could literally wear a trash bag and be the most beautiful person in the room. Joan, Aaron, Ruth, and Tom walked into a gala filled with hundreds of people dressed from different times, all extremely beautiful, and Aaron Oliver was still turning heads. 

Now Joan was our main character here and she was quiet the character, I must say. Having two different boys falling hard for her. We see you Joan, we see you. The difference of these two boys is that one of them boys wants to kill off her whole family and kind, while the other one just wants to live the rest of his life peacefully. I mean I would choose the peaceful boy, but clearly Joan and I don't have the same type of thoughts going on in our heads.

The writing for this book was amazing, because Ms. Vanessa Len was like, you thought this was going to happen? Nope. And something completely different popped up and made my jaw drop. I was like 'no way in this world is this happening right now'.

I love books with time travel, and the fact that most of the book is based in a different time and incorporates different characters who popped into Joan's time dressed like they just came from a 1800s tea party is incredible. When Joan and Aaron traveled to the 1990s together to escape a certain doom, they had to dress the time, since their 2000s clothes made them stand out. It was funny to see Aaron watch what clothes she was picking out and him say, "No." "No." "No." and then finally pick something out for her, which was cute.


I think Joan can do better with her selection of men. I mean maybe she had a really big thing for brown haired guys, but I just don't think Nicky boy was worth it. Aaron on the other hand...
I am crying over here for him ya'll. Okay so maybe he backed off in the beginning when his, very powerful father who would've killed him if he didn't, said so. I would've done the same thing. This man just wants peace and happiness and I will forever love him for that. Aaron gave Joan his deceased mother's time trinket before they said goodbye for possibly forever, and what did Nick do? Oh yeah, cause her tears and lots of pain and energy. 
AND THIS GIRL STILL SAID I LOVE YOU TO HIM. I can't with her. 

Honestly, that and the fact that sometimes I wanted to knock Joan out because of her thought process was the only reason the book was rated a 4.5 out of 5.

Did I mention this story took place in London! Even the time traveling bits. We saw old London and modern London in the same book!!!!!!

Monsters each have a power specific to their families. This is other than the power to time travel because all monsters have that. Joan is a Hunt and their family power allows her to hide things in time. So with a snap of her fingers and object can disappear! But this power has grown weaker as she has grown older because she is half-human. Even though she now doesn't have the Hunt family power, another special power has developed. One her Gran says to trust no one of the knowledge of. And let me tell you, this power is crazy.

Overall, old London, Ruth's straightforwardness, time traveling, and Aaron Oliver carried this book, or just were my favorite in general. So they carried it for me.


Need a laugh? Check out my notes while reading Only A Monster


Thanks for reading <3

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Post-Worthy Quotes